FOILed again! RPD salaries, November 13, 2015
In 2015, Rochester Indymedia used the Freedom of Information Law on the city to obtain the base pay for the entire uniformed Rochester Police Department.
We were going to combine this information with the police demographics for 2015 (see the demographic information for 2015), but we didn't have enough variables to make a 1 to 1 comparison.
Some highlights from the November 2015 data regarding the base pay of Rochester police officers are:
- The top five commanding officers of the Rochester Police Department (the Chief, two deputy chiefs, and two police captains), combined, made a total of $526,340.36
- The top 16 cops made base salaries of over $100,000 each
- Chief Michael Ciminelli came in at the top at $135,648.50
- The lowest paid officer, Marc R. Sutton, made $51,797.98
- These salaries do not include benefits, overtime, or other monetary incentives
When considering how much money the people of Rochester put toward police, who tend to be male (77% as of 2015), white (86% as of 2015), and where the majority live outside of the city of Rochester (93.3% as of 2015–we're still waiting for 2016 numbers), even as far as the seven contiguous counties of Monroe, one must wonder how vibrant the city and its residents could be if we instead kept the money in the city and funded Black futures?
Check it out for yourself at the PDF below!