Support Tracey & SEIU healthcare workers at U of R!
1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East and SEIU Local 200United
UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER UNION NEGOTIATIONS BULLETIN
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
NEGOTIATIONS CALLED OFF UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
UR HAS OUR CHIEF NEGOTIATOR ARRESTED FOR PASSING OUT LEAFLETS AT SMH
As if it wasn’t bad enough that management proposed to take away our health benefits last Friday, UR had our chief negotiator arrested and forcibly removed from Strong Memorial Hospital the next morning for trying to communicate that fact to our union members.
Organizer Tracey Harrison was making his usual rounds at Strong Memorial on Saturday morning, September 29, when UR Security ordered him to leave the building. Tracey was distributing copies of our latest bulletin and posting it on union bulletin boards. When Tracey informed UR Security officers who he was and what he was doing, they threatened him with arrest if he did not leave the premises. Tracey stood his ground, and was turned over to Rochester Police Officers who forcibly removed him from the medical campus. The arrest took place in the public corridor outside the SMH Environmental Services office. Tracey was issued an appearance ticket for trespassing. A court date was set for October 17. UR banned Tracey from its property.
WE ARE NOT GOING TO STAND FOR THIS KIND OF HARASSMENT
Union Vice-president Bruce Popper lodged a complaint with UR officials on Saturday, demanding an end to the illegal interference with union members’ rights to be represented by Tracey. Bruce also demanded an apology and assurances that such an incident would never occur again. The joint union negotiating committee met early Monday morning, October 1. They approved the following actions:
1. Cancel negotiations until this matter is resolved.
2. File charges against UR with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
3. File a class grievance against UR.
4. Send an official “10 Day Notice” required by law that we will picket UR Medical Center starting October 12.
On Monday, Union attorney Michael Harren filed charges with the NLRB alleging violations of Sections 8 (a) (1) and 8 (a) (5) of the National Labor Relations Act.
Later on Monday, UR lifted its ban of Tracey. He is once again free to represent our members on site at UR. Other matters remain unresolved.
On Tuesday, sixty union Delegates and members delivered the class grievance to the Human Resources Office at the UR Medical Center. The text of the grievance read:
“University of Rochester security officers denied reasonable access to union staff representative Tracey Harrison. UR further interfered with the union’s access to its members by detaining Mr. Harrison and causing his arrest. The denial and interference commenced Sept. 29, 2012 and continued until Oct. 1. Violation of Article V Union Activity #6, Article XXV Management Rights #1.
“Remedy requested: Drop charges against Mr. Harrison. Apologize to him. Assure union of no further interference.”
WE WILL NOT BE MOVED
We will not be diverted from our purpose of defending our benefits and of getting a good contract. Now, more than ever, we must unite and stand together. Here is what every member must do:
1. Wear the new sticker at work that says: “Fairness, Justice, Respect.”
2. Sign the petition to UR President Seligman being circulated by the Delegates.
3. Attend one of the union meetings set for Tuesday, October 9, at South Presbyterian Church (Mt. Hope Avenue and East Henrietta Road, across from McDonald’s).
4. Be prepared to picket and demonstrate starting Friday, October 12. We will get you information about your legal right to picket.
5. Support each other. Now is the time to stand up for ourselves, for our families, for our community. In unity, there is strength. Don’t let anyone intimidate you.
6. Stay in touch. Make sure that the union has your correct telephone number and email address.
Issued by the Joint UR Union Negotiating Committee of 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East and SEIU Local 200United.