so much for that cease fire
Primary tabs
Palestinians in the Gaza Strip fired at least five projectiles at southern Israel on Saturday, with a Grad-type rocket hitting and heavily damaging an Asheklon school.
Classrooms destroyed in...
No one was wounded in the attack, as the school was closed, though a number of residents were treated for shock. Another Grad rocket landed in an open area just outside the city.
Ashkelon residents reported hearing an air raid siren at 8:43 am, before a rocket tore through the school, destroying classrooms and spraying pieces of shrapnel in all directions.
Following the rocket fire, the Ashkelon Municipality reactivated its emergency command and control center, situated in a bomb shelter adjacent to city hall, where situation analysis meetings have been scheduled for Saturday.
RELATED
* Kassam rocket strikes Eshkol Region
The center had served as a hub for coordinating emergency responses to the large numbers of rockets fired at the city during Operation Cast Lead.
"In light of the situation, we can say with certainty that the school struck by a rocket will not be open tomorrow. We will have to find an alternative solution for students. The remainder of the schools will open on Sunday," Deputy Mayor Shlomo Cohen said.
A police sapper carries the...
A police sapper carries the remains of a rocket that landed in a western Negev field. [file]
Photo: AP
Cohen added that the municipality "shared the concerns of parents in light of the deterioration of the situation, but we must remember that carrying on in a routine manner means bolstering the education system and the whole of the city of Ashkelon."
A tour of the school by Ashkelon Municipality safety officials found that shrapnel damage had reached parts of the building which had been designated as safe zones by the Home Front Command.
The municipality has been waiting for two weeks for the Ministry of Defense to approve rocket reinforcement construction plans drawn up to protect schools in the city, Cohen said, adding that the school struck in Saturday's attack was on the list of school waiting for protection.









